So Ugly It's Cute

We bought a house. It's ugly as sin right now, but it has so much potential to be cute. We're out to actualize that potential.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kitchen Renovations, Part 2

The next step in our kitchen was to paint the walls - which needed to be done before the countertops and cabinet doors could be installed.

My original paint scheme, which I had thought up long before we bought the house, was to have a pale yellow dining room, with black and white furniture/pictures/accessories/etc. But since our current dining room shares a wall with our living room, we had to rethink the color scheme. We hadn't decided on kitchen colors yet, though, and said, "hey, yellow is great for a kitchen." And, a kitchen lends itself to the yellow/white/black color scheme quite well, as it turns out.

We picked out a light yellow called "Jonquil Yellow," in a semi-gloss (so that any spatters would be easy to clean).

After taping off and otherwise covering all the cabinet boxes, and after drinking the obligatory morning latte, we got to work.


Still-life, lattes and paint rollers.

My ankle was still out of sorts, so I was limited in what I could do. I did much of the cutting-in around the base cabinets, and painted the walls as high as I could. Evan painted everything on high, ceiling included.





Our kitchen shares doorjams with our dining room on one side, and our hallway on the other. We made the executive decision to paint them yellow, as you can see above.


Under the wall cabinets, with all the electrical boxes turned out. Post-second coat.

Being a small room, the kitchen took no time at all to paint. Here's the finished paint job a few days later, sans dropcloths.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home